Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Socks for ME!

I started these socks last summer, finished the one sometime in the fall and decided to finish up the other one last week.  It only took me a week to get it done............why do I wait?

 I have a book that I got from my dad called the Readers Digest Complete Book of Needlework. Copyright 1979, some things never change! It tells you the basics of how to knit, crochet, quilt, macrame, etc, and the tools to create your own.  This is the Horseshoe stitch from the book. When I started I didn't realize the pattern was listed for a flat item, not knitted in the round.....that didn't take me long to figure out though, I knew something was wrong when I couldn't see any pattern forming.  The yarn is Cascade sock yarn.  So far this has been my favorite yarn for socks, plus it's semi affordable for me. 
 I'm amazed at how good the Kitchener stitch came out this time, I must be getting better. There are great directions on knitty site
 The heel I did in the Peacock stitch, I don't know where I first saw this, but I love how it looks.   I did keep loosing my place for such an easy stitch.  All it is, is: slip 1, knit 1, repeat across, purl back, then slip 2 (only on the first stitches), knit 1, slip1, knit 1repeat across, purl back, easy. I couldn't remember if is was slipping 1 or 2.....that's what happens when the TV is on.

The pattern for the Horseshoe is as follows:

Cast on 60, rip on the band
This is in multiples of 12
Row 1: yo, k3, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, k3, yo, k1
Row 2: and all alt rows, purl
Row 3: k1, yo, k2, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, k2, yo, k2
Row 5: k2, yo, k1, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, k1, yo, k3
Row 7: k3, yo, sl 1, k2 tog, psso, yo, k4

Every row is basically the same except for the beginning and end of the pattern. It doesn't take long to get it figured out.

I haven't made that many socks, but I'm amazed that I still have all the pairs I have knitted in the last few years, and I wear them a lot, but they haven't worn out. It's so worth the time and effort.

 

No comments: