Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Munchies

With summer fast approaching I decided to try one of the many cookie recipes I've been collecting over the winter. I try and have homemade cookies on board the boat for our guests, just as an extra treat. Plus, since I love to bake, this is a good excuse to do so without eating everything that comes out of the oven. I found these on the Bake or Break Recipe Blog but I know I've seen them on other blogs too. Instead of rolling them into balls, I just did them one at a time, rolled one in my hand, then flattened it in my hand added the peanut butter filling, oh and I added a small marshmallow too, then rolled it all back up keeping the filling inside. Seemed easier. I was expecting a big chocolate, marshmallow, peanuty mess when I opened the oven, but they came out looking great, and tasted so good I had to share too.


Ingredients:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
½ cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Stir together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set flour mixture aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, brown sugar, and the ¼ cup peanut butter with an electric mixer until combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Form chocolate dough into 32 balls about 1¼ inches in diameter. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and remaining ½ cup peanut butter till smooth. Shape into 32 (3/4-inch) balls. I used chunky peanut butter, so it was a little on the dry side when I mixed this up, so I just added a little milk and it worked great.

Slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball and top with a peanut butter ball. Shape the chocolate dough over the peanut butter filling, completely covering the filling. Roll dough into a ball. Repeat with the remaining chocolate dough and peanut butter filling.

Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Lightly flatten with bottom of glass dipped in remaining sugar.

Bake at 350F for 8 minutes, or until just set and surface is slightly cracked. Let cookies stand for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Makes 32 cookies.

2 comments:

D Martinez said...

Yum, yum, yum! These look wonderful :-)

Rhonda da Luz said...

There look delicious. I wish I had powered sugar and mashamellow so I can make them too. You could send me the two items that I need to Cape Verde.